The Brunei Air Traffic Control began its modest operation in 1953 from a control tower on stilts with attap roof at Berakas Area in the civility of an old runway built during World War II. This was in line with the introduction of commercial air transportation connecting Bandar Brunei with Anduki in the Belait District, Labuan in Sabah and Lutong in Sarawak.
Then Air Traffic Control Services were provided from a control tower located at Brunei Old Airport Terminal Building in 1958 until 1974 when the Brunei International Airport became Operational. Radar Control Service was introduced in 1983. With the rapid growth of global air transportation a new Air Traffic Services Centre equipped with the latest state-of-the-art technology in surveillance and tracking was commissioned on 29th April 1997.
In accordance with ICAO Convention, the ATS Section of the Department of Civil Aviation is tasked with the responsibility to ensure safe, regular and efficient operation of all flights (civil and military) within its sovereign and delegated airspace and movements of aircraft at Brunei International Airport.
The following are services provided by the Air Traffic Services Section to ensure the objectives of the above responsibilities.
The ATS Section, headed by the Chief Air Traffic Control Officer is further sub-divided into the following sub-sections for the purpose of effective management.
Air Traffic Control (ATC)
National Search and Rescue (SAR)
Aeronautical Information Services (AIS)
Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Services (AFTN)
The ATS is presently manned by 73 staff.
Tel: +673 2331157
Fax: +673 2331157